Monday, April 26, 2010

Back to Work

Well, this is my last week of maternity leave. It is crazy to think that on Saturday it will be 12 weeks since our little guy was brought into this world. We just love him so much!! Anyways, that means back to work for me. Luckily, I will only be working 16 hrs. a week and from home. I think it will be a little challenging initially with Ryan's schedule varying, but if he does as well as he's done this weekend and today with napping everything should work out just fine. I plan on him staying home with me, but having my Mom or sister, Maggie to come over occasionally when I have important demos/calls, etc. I will try to group them together for everyone's convenience. I think it's a great opportunity that I've been given and I will do my best to make it work out, but I'm being open-minded and realizing flexibility will be a must. If things don't go well then I will ask to take extended time until Ryan is a little bit older.

The weather has been getting much nicer lately and Ryan and I have taken a few walks around the neighborhood. I'm also getting braver about taking him out on my own for errands, grocery runs, etc. (I found this to be a little intimidating at first- esp with his 2hr feeding schedule- sheesh!) He has a very nice 3hr sometimes more between feedings now and is generally waking up once during the night to feed (although sometimes twice). I'm hoping this stays consistent or gets even better!! Ryan's been eyeing his feet and hands a lot lately and even grabbed onto his foot for a minute during bath time last night. It was so cute- he was very happy about it! Which reminds me, Moms- do you typically bathe your little babies at night or in the morning?? Up until now I've always bathed Ryan in the morning sometime after his first feeding. However, last night I bathed him before bed and then rubbed Johnson's Bedtime lotion all over him, fed him and put him to bed. He seemed to sleep really soundly and very well. Not sure if these factors had anything to do with it or not, or if he was just tired. I do plan to repeat it tomorrow night and see if the results are the same. I wonder if you could comment on any of your experiences- pros/cons. Thanks!!

~Emily

3 comments:

Collin and Marisa said...

Emily,

I'm so glad you're able to work part time and from home! Yay! It does get easier to take them out by yourself. In the beginning it seemed like such a hassle that there were many days I just didn't see it worth it to go out during the day. Now it's no problem.

We give Caden a bath at night. He seems to really enjoy it and since he has eczema and our water is so bad here, we were told not to bathe him everyday - which is hard. It seems like the nights we do give him a bath he goes to sleep faster. Sometimes we will just give him a quick bath and then lots of lotion since he likes his bath so much. Yes, the lotion is nice. If you would rather bathe him in the morning you could just do the lotion and a quick infant massage that way too. I hope this helps.

Anonymous said...

Hi, I just stumbled on your blog! I am the mom of an almost 2 year old...Congrats on getting to work part-time from home, what a great blessing! In my own experience working part-time from home, I would say that it won't get any easier than it is now - your little guy is in-mobile and content just being still, taking more than 1 nap a day, not talking... For me, around 12 months working from home became increasingly difficult. I now drop her off at Grandmas every time I have work to do, or I try to get it accomplished all during nap time.

As far as a night time bath, I think that was the key that helped our daughter to start sleeping through the night at 3 weeks old. Calming/relaxing bath, boring feeding, and a white noise machine in the nursery. We still follow the same routine (which I found from 2 pediatric nurses who have a great, pratical book called Mom's on Call - a mom's guide to your baby's first 6 months).

Your kiddo is adorable!! Bkessings!

Angela said...

YES for nighttime baths!:) Also, someone mentioned a white noise machine; we have one for Elaine and it is so soothing it makes me want one in our room!

Love ya!