Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Running...

So, since I was laid off last week I have decided to start running again. Trust me, it has been quite some time and I honestly was never very good at it to begin with. However, I realized in the gym awhile back that it is a problem that I can never seem to run more than 2-3 minutes without having to stop and walk. Also, I have so many good friends that run regularly and are in really good shape. Therefore, I decided since I could use to lose a handful of pounds that I gained with my job and definitely could use the cardio, that running is how I would accomplish that.

The first few days were tough, but by Friday I was so pleased that I could run from our cul de sac all the way to the end of the street and halfway back up before walking for a bit to catch my breath. You'd have to see the street to really understand I think, but that in itself is a personal accomplishment. So, Monday I did Wii Yoga and Strength Training instead and then took Tuesday off. Today I got right back to it with the running. Yikes! I don't know if I pushed myself too fast down the big hill or what, but I was seriously hurting breathing and making it back up the big hill felt like it took forever. I wouldn't think that after a weekend off and then two days that I would regress that much. Well, just goes to show this is going to be a slow work in progress, but I really want to be consistent in doing this each morning.

Initially I was run/walking about 15-20 minutes, but now I feel pretty good doing about 45 minutes a day. It would be nicer to have someone to run/walk with, or a dog, but since I don't know anyone who lives close by that would be willing to workout with me and we've decided a dog is not a good idea until we figure out all the possible moving stuff, I will just have to wait for a workout buddy.

Other things today, Toby had his annual vet appt and updated his rabbies shot. He got a new tag for his collar which is blue and cute, but I liked the state of TX one that he had before. He did really well for the technicians and they commented on how nice it was to have a sweet kitty in the office.

I have been doing a few loads of laundry and packing for our trip to Florida. We leave on Saturday and I am very excited! Other than that, my day has consisted of cleaning dishes, cleaning kitchen, vacuuming, and watching a little TV. I think I will head out to look for a birthday gift for my husband, Michael, who will be turning 27 on our vacation this next week. :) Happy "Early" Birthday, Sweetheart!!!

Love, Emily

2 comments:

Jenna said...

I've been thinking about training for the half marathon in November. We could be weekend running buddies! I won't start major training until the fall, so a few miles here and there would be good.

Jenny said...

I'm terribly sorry to hear about your lay-off, but I'm so proud of you for sticking with the running! It's hard at first, but it gets easier, as you said. I'd definitely run with you and Jenna if I didn't live over an hour away.

Jenna, I've been toying with the idea of doing the SA Marathon in November. I've decided the weather for the Austin Marathon is almost always going to be too cold in Feb. It'd be great to run together that day!

p.s. I can't post with my blog's URL for some reason, but it's web.me.com/jenniferpinkston